Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Author: Stephen Chbosky 
Published: February 1999 by MTV Books and Pocket Books 
Pages: 213
Format: Paperback

I was up early this morning already thinking of what I was going to say in this review. I hadn't even finished the book yet. I still had forty pages to read. I will start with this, it's worth reading. Don't let my review detour you from it. After all it's just my opinion. 

When I saw that the book was in letters form I was excited. I've always been a fan of diaries so I figured this would be a quick read for me. It was a slow go from the beginning. I really had to force myself to get through most of the book. There is a turning point in it that makes it a page turner. That whole "I have to know what happened next" type of deal. 

As far as the characters go I never really felt attached to them. I didn't feel all that invested. Until that turning point I was really just trying to finish the book. There were moments when I was completely lost with what was going on. Maybe it was meant that way. I finished the book with questions. I don't think I ever really understood what was going on with Charlie. That may just be me. I do have comprehension issues, always have. 

All in all it's an alright book. I think it could have been better.


Rating

2 comments:

  1. I think I know what you mean... I also like how it's told in letters but the beginning did bore me. I wanted to finish it because I bought it (and I don't want my money to completely go to waste). I struggled to finish it but I did found myself wanting to know what happens next and how it'll end around the second half of the book..
    I'm actually thinking of rereading it so that I'll be able to appreciate it more~~

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may reread it myself. Maybe a second read will get to understand it better.

      Delete